Lamp of Lothian Trust
The Lamp of Lothian Collegiate Trust was founded in 1967 ‘For the Whole Community’ by the late Duchess of Hamilton. The name has been in use for over six centuries, initially to describe the religious foundation bringing Christianity to the Lothians, now the local parish church of St Mary’s. It was also given to the famous hymn tune, popularly known as ‘For the Beauty of the Earth’. The Lamp played a key role in the magnificent restoration of this fine building. Music has always played a key role in our history, with an annual concert season attracting internationally acclaimed performers. From our home in the historic buildings at the Poldrate Mill the Trust supports a wide range of organisations who provide activities for over 1000 people a week, from babies to pensioners.
Almost £3 million has been raised by public donation to renovate and restore the Poldrate, which is now the focus for a wide range of artistic cultural and educational activities. We believe it now houses one of the finest community centres in the country, a sentiment which has been echoed by many of our distinguished visitors.
In recognition of her determination and vision in founding the Lamp of Lothian Trust, the site was renamed ‘The Elizabeth Hamilton Buildings’ after the late Dowager Duchess of Hamilton in early 2009.
To find out more about the Lamp of Lothian and how we provide for the whole community in our buildings, please visit our website at: